Sunday, October 2, 2011

10K Race Today

I had a 10K race this morning, which was like my second 10K in 3 years.  Haha.  I guess I don't run races very often.  It started at 8 am, but it was sooooo hot already!  Seriously, it was like 80 degrees and sunny.  They didn't have enough water stations along the way either.  I was dying during this dirt stretch for most of mile 4 and 5, with no shades whatsoever, and just tons of dust and sun beating down.  The only thing kept me going was the thought that the faster I run, the faster I'll get it over with. I really really hate running when it's hot so it really affected my speed.  I finished in 55 minutes, which is like a 8:50 pace.  Apparently that was good enough for #3 in my division and #11 of all females though!  I was hoping to finish in like 45 minutes, or at least under 50 minutes.  But whatever, I was just happy I finished in that heat.  I did notice though, that I can pass sooooo many people during uphill stretches.  I train uphill all the time on the treadmill, and that totally helps me during races.  It's so funny how most people immediately slow down so much when faced with a tiny hill!  All you have to do is lean forward, shorten your strides and pump your arms a little harder.  This annoying girl was pacing me, literally on me like almost stepping on my foot (the trail was pretty wide and no one else nearby), but when a short little hill came I left her behind by at least 20 paces.  Hehe.

I can sprint but I don't really consider myself a distance runner.  I think 5Ks are even a bit much, but I am running a half marathon in November.  Don't ask me why, it sounded like a good idea at the time.  But I have not had any time to train for it at all with the wedding preparations and all.  Now that that's over, we are going to Europe next week for the rest of October.  So when we get back, there will only be 2 weeks till the half marathon!  This 10K today was a good test of where I'm at, and I'm a little worried about the half.  I know November will be much cooler, but I could not imagine running another 7 miles today.

When I get back from Europe I will have one weekend before the half, so I think I will try running at least 10 miles and see how it goes.  I really don't feel good about going into my first half with no training at all, because I want to be able to do my best and get a good time.  But it is what it is... the last 6 miles or so of the half marathon course is a lot of hills.  So maybe I can pick up some time during that stretch.  That is, if I still have enough energy left by then...





4 comments:

  1. Google the McMillan Running Calculator - you can enter today's race time and it will give you an equivalent performance time for other distances (including half marathon) so you can see what pace you can expect to run a half at your current fitness level. I'm sure you'll want to relax in Europe but maybe you can squeeze in some treadmill runs or explore where you're staying by running outside? Good luck! And have fun in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing about not training for this race is that you'll be able to break your record next time you run one ;) haha! That's how I look at it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol... true true. I might try running in Europe too, that'd be a cool way to see the cities! I know I will at least be walking a lot there, so at least I will be keeping my legs in shape... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. [url=http://www.monarch-garments.com/tweed-sport-coat.asp]http://www.monarch-garments.com/tweed-sport-coat.asp[/url]
    Mens tweed sport coat
    Great stuff from you, man. Ive read your stuff before and youre just too awesome. I love what youve got here, love what youre saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to keep it smart. I cant wait to read more from you. This is really a great blog
    http://www.monarch-garments.com/tweed-sport-coat.asp

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...