Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lululemon Run:Speed Short - Coal/ Heathered Coal Wee Stripe

Ok, I decided to give the Lululemon Run:Speed Short another try and bought the new Coal/ Heathered Coal Wee Stripe combo. 


I like the Heathered Coal Wee Stripe pattern, it's subtle and neutral which goes with everything.  I also like that these shorts are all gray, instead of many Lulu shorts which have different colored outlines that make them a little harder to match with tops.

The last pair of Speed shorts I got in White/ Passion just didn't fit right so I had to return them.  The bottom was way flared out and made my butt look bigger than it is.  I thought I was the crazy one until I browsed through the Lululemon Facebook page and saw multiple people complaining that the Speed shorts don't fit the same way that they used to.  You can tell even by the stock pictures of the models.  For example, most of the new ones look like this on the model:


Notice how much extra fabric there is on the butt to create the "flared out" look, while the waist fits fine.  Compare it to the older Speed Shorts which fit much more flattering:


They are definitely different.  They even look shorter too.  Despite the GEC's answer that they have not been changed.

Well, the reason I got the Coal/ Heathered Coal Wee Stripe one is because the fit on the model looked more like the older ones than the new.


Even though it looks a little tight on this model since the front seems pulled, the back looks tighter.  Anyway, I received them today and they definitely fit better.  But the waist band is a little big.  I compared them with my Run:Ultra Short II in the same size, and these are wider by an inch!  But they do have the drawstring on the inside waistband so that's not a big issue.  The length is pretty much exactly the same as the Ultra shorts which I love.

I think I will keep these.  I like the look of the Speed shorts and the open vent in the back.  I wish these had a hidden pocket on the waistband though.  The Ultra shorts have a zippered pocket in the back as well as 2 hidden waistband pockets, one on each side which can come in handy.  But the inside liner feature is the same, and the length on the inner thigh parts are a bit longer to prevent riding up, just like the Ultra shorts too!  I'm excited to try these out on a run next week!

5 comments:

  1. Great blog. Love reading especially about the Lulu stuff. The other entries are great too. Quite refreshing. Your blog got mentioned in the Lulu FB page by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adriana! Glad you enjoy it. =) And thanks for letting me know about the FB posting! I need to stalk that page more often it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love your blog! I came upon it because of a post on the Lulu FB page about the Run:Speed Shorts. You nailed the changes on these shorts perfectly! I have been very disappointed with the new design of these shorts. They were my favorites. I'm going to give the Coal/Wee Stripe a try.

    I've bookmarked your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thanks Holli! I know I am disappointed too about the change. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Let me know what you think of the Coal/Wee Stripe one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chiming in 7 months late because I'm just reading your post now... but in case you haven't figured it out yet, the difference is in the fabric. The pair you like better is made of a polyester/spandex fabric, which hugs the butt/thigh area more. The ones that didn't fit as well did not have the spandex so they bag out more in the leg opening. Took me a while to clue in, but one day I did a "touch" test at the store and realized that certain pairs of speed shorts (for example, the current all-black version) felt silkier and more supple than others - they were the ones that were poly/spandex blend. So in the future, be sure to look at the label or ask the GEC for the fabric content of the particular pair of speed shorts that you're interested in buying. That way you'll know if they'll fit the way you want.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...